Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How to Build a straightforward Computer Desk

Back a few years ago I decided I needed to buy a computer desk. After seeing around at a half dozen furniture stores and agency stores, I came to the closing that there were only two types of computer desks on the market; very high-priced ones from high end furniture stores and pressed board garbage from low cost box stores. Neither noteworthy my funds or tastes, but I needed a computer desk.

It was while this realization that I came up with an idea of construction my own easy computer desk. I remember seeing standalone kitchen cabinets for sale at one of the local home correction stores. I thought, hey if I could affix a countertop face to two kitchen cabinets I'd have a functional computer desk.

Door Bottom

Finding the Components for my Computer Desk

With the idea in mind I grabbed my tape portion and drove to a local home correction store. The store had numerous standalone kitchen cabinets for sale, made from all types of wood. Some were low end constructed, while others were more high-end constructed. I found one cabinet that consisted of a top drawer and a large front door with adjustable shelves. I then found other cabinet consisting entirely of a column of drawers. After pulling them aside, I then visited the countertop area of the store, and surprisingly I found pre-fabricated 5 foot countertops for sale. I excellent one that was aesthetically absorbing to me and rested it on top of the two kitchen cabinets. I spaced the two kitchen cabinets apart so that they were placed at the far ends of the countertop to allow room for a chair and seating. I then made a height determination and considered that the only modification required was to cut about 2 inches off the lowest of each kitchen cabinet.

Building a Computer Desk

With my desk idea nearly realized, I purchased the two kitchen cabinets and countertop and brought them home for assembly.

Using a skill saw I removed two inches of the base of the cabinets. This was easy to do since the cabinets had about a 3 inch area below the fixed base cabinet shelf and the drawers that was effectively empty space. I then positioned the two cabinet pieces in my office area and mounted the kitchen countertop to the two cabinets using screws and brackets.

Finally, I mounted a keyboard tray slider to the underside of the countertop and my good seeing and functional computer desk was ready for use.

Note: Keyboard tray sliders can be found at most office stores.

How to Build a straightforward Computer Desk

refrigerator for sale

No comments:

Post a Comment